DTV2009: Are We Ready Yet?
The February 17, 2009 digital television transition is slowly creeping closer. Are you ready yet? Here's the latest numbers detailing how the nation's preparation is fairing.
- 84% of Americans are aware of the digital TV transition
- 50% of those that watch analog over-the-air channels don't have plans to address the problem
- 50% of Americans are aware of the TV Converter Box Coupon program
- 17% of those that are aware of the coupon program know how to get the boxes
- 33% of those that don't need converter boxes are applying for them anyway
- 464, 000 of the 800, 000 coupons that have already expired were never used
- 15.8 million households need a converter box or new digital TV to maintain service after the switch
- adding in multiset households with one or more sets that receive analog over-the-air channels, the number that needs to take action is closer to 39 million households, 34% of all households in the US
It's interesting to note that all of the consumer education campaigns seem to be doing a good job of reaching those with only over-the-air analog reception, but failing to reach those with multiple TV's in the same household, one or more of those set to lose service come DTV2009.
Read-More Mixed DTV News From GAO
Read-Analog Turnoff Could Affect 34% of US Households
Read More in: Digital TV Transition 2009
Share this Article with others:
Came straight to this page? Visit TV Snob for all the latest news.
Posted by Justin Davey at June 11, 2008 12:00 AM